The countdown begins…

7 days and counting to the presentation of my innovation to the class! The confidence is high and preparation is getting there. The journey so far with twitter has been positive, and expanding my network day by day.

The response to my last post was a shock to me, thanks Lina, Denise, Sue, Sarah, John and Ines for the comments! I had no idea that I would receive international interest from a blog written by me just a student in Western Australia. The power of this tool is becoming more apparent.

The purpose of writing today is a shout out to all people who have had any experience with twitter! I want to know what YOU think of it in terms of using it with students:

1. The GOOD

2. The BAD

3. The UGLY

Reading through John’s wiki (http://projectingpassionately.pbwiki.com/) has shown me an excellent example as how web 2.0 can be put into action.

Lina, Denise, Sue, Sarah, John and Ines – I’m still building up my network and learning how to use twitter. Can you ask your networks if they can share their thoughts on twitter with me and also add me to their twitter network? My twitter is mferrinda . Any feedback that I can receive will help me to best educate my fellow peers while also demonstrating how powerful these tools can be for learning.

Thanks in advance!

9 thoughts on “The countdown begins…

1. Hi Matt!
    I’m so glad you feel enthousiastic about your new born world.
    I’m trying google Chrome, so I haven’t a spelling corrector enabled yet, you will excuse me if I make faults. πŸ™‚
    Here is my experience with Twitter: I found it, just by chance, when reading Sue’s blog. I didn’t know that blogs authors were not distant people like my favourite books authors. So, I read in her blog side bar:” – Are you following me?” I followed the link, and I got to her Twitter page. I was totally amazed, I hadn’t ever heard of such a magic tool. I decided to subscribe, then I logged in and began following her. “- What will happen now?” – I thought to myself. And in that moment, I received an e-mail notification saying that she was following me too! I tried to speak to her and she answered back! Suddenly, the silent and sleeping wood of edublogs has revealed to me in its own true and energetic liveliness: “- the blogs are alive, the blogs are alive!” – I thought, in astonishement – “there are real people living behind them and they are talking to me, they are welcoming me!”
    The hobbits wouldn’be more surprised when they met the Ents in the forest of Fangorn, if you see what I mean.
    I thought blogs were digital chapters of books currently being written, kindly exposed to our reading by the absent writers, but, thanks to Twitter I was soon to discover blogs were live conversations being held asynchronously among wise and friendly people; I understood that networks where those people were interconnected didn’t operate like private clubs, but were open and warm knowledge spaces where newbies could feel genuinely safe and sincerely welcomed.
    I didn’t answer to all your questions, yet, but as my comment is getting too long, I’ll visit you again soon – with a spelling corrector, I promise! πŸ™‚
    Ines

2. Pingback: Would You Use Twitter With Your Students? | Mobile Technology in TAFE

3. Hi Matt, apologies for taking so long to respond. I’ve written a blog post and people are starting to share their thoughts (some are twittering their comments as well) — so you can check it out here.

4. Hi Matt,

Nice to β€œmeet” you. I found your blog from a Tweet sent out by Sue. It is great that you are realizing the power of networks and the web on your own through authentic experiences, rather than theoretical school based activities. The beauty of the network is that it grows and changes as if it has a life of its own. The more connections you make, the further you will go towards finding meaning in all the information on the web.

I am a former Middle School teacher now working in Elementary; I have an obsession with technology and social justice issues, and since my little ones cannot really do the things I am passionate about, I have started an online classroom, called IntrepidClassroom. See here: http://intrepidclassroom.edublogs.org/

I hope to connect with as many students from around the world to use networks to learn about ourselves, how we learn, and how we can work together to help make a better
    world.

I use Twitter with several of them and I encourage you to follow me as well as the following people:

@lindseak, @hfeldman, and @saizinesaurus

I am constantly looking for bright, dedicated, young people to join our group. So please come by and take a look around. I also encourage you to have a listen to a podcast I recently recorded with Lindsea about the notion of breaking down walls between students and teachers. I think it may pertain to your topic on whether or not to use Twitter with students. http://intrepidclassroom.edublogs.org/2008/08/24/trust/

Looking forward to hearing back from you soon! Good luck.

5. @inpi your spelling is fine! Thank you for your story this is great to know. Hearing your experience of twitter in Portugal will help me to educate my peers showing them the international power of twitter.

@Sue Waters thank you once again the comments are already building up! Your network is quite extensive!

@Intrepidteacher It is nice to ‘meet’ you to! Your experience in the classroom is a different approach I have not quite seen and keen to follow up on. I have added the people you suggested and yourself and look forward to communicating soon on twitter!

6. Hey Matt,

I’m from an Adult Education background so I can’t speak about the specifics of dealing with kids but I’ve just started playing with twitter in the last couple of months so maybe my thoughts will be helpful!

Good – Can keep up with others in the industry, including ‘loose ties’ in professional network.
    Good – Opens doors for collaboration and knowledge sharing I didn’t know existed
    Bad – It can be a big distraction! I have to make myself turn it off (This worries me when thinking about putting it in front of kids)
    Bad – It takes time away from reading blogs and commenting, which I enjoy as they push me to consider an issue in more detail. Twitter is great for quickly swapping links or ideas, but you don’t quite get the thoughtfulness you get through blogging and commenting.

So I guess I’m a little uneasy about introducing it into the classroom, I certainly wouldn’t encourage it if I were running a training session for adults, (a conference back channel is one thing but a small group training session is another). That said I keep finding all sorts of innovative uses for technology that I had not considered before.

Good luck!!
    mick

7. Hello Matt,

I am an educator in Romania and I just want to tell you that with a colleague we tried to use a microblogging platform (call it a Romanian Twitter) Cirip.ro with a group of students to learn about web 2.0. And it really works! Our final paper to spread the ideas from the course will be ready soon but you can check some of them here: http://tinyurl.com/5up2yf .

Good luck with your presentation!

8. Hi Matt,
    Sorry for being so late, I’ve changed my internet connection and, for several days, it just didn’t work. Besides, the new school year started the 10th September and my work on line, specially prepared for my students, was totally incomplete and messy… Well, now, about using Twitter with students:
    1. I would do it if I had grown up students and we wished to set up a work group with a well established purpose. There is even a site called “Twitter Group” where I opened an account.
    2. I won’t do it with my young students, not only because they are under 13 but also because it is not a safe platform to be on, as kids may search randomly and find people or subjects not appropriate for them, or may be found and followed by strange people.
    3. I would try Ed.modo, if this microblogging platform would have security features that didn’t allow young students to “go out” from their work group and if they wouldn’t be seen as well. I spend so much time on line talking to them on msn that I would love to find something like those quick and fast microblogging platforms expressly conceived for kids.
    Finally, I wish you a great presentation!
    Ines

9. Hi Matt, I found this post via Sue Waters. I know I’m too late for your presentation, but I feel compelled to comment πŸ™‚ I like Twitter in that I can connect and share with educators from all over the world. I like the fact that, at least with educators in my Twitter network, folks are generally polite. Having said that, though, I can’t help think of the case of Arthus Erea.

Arthus (not his real name) is a 15 year old who was very active in the edublogosphere. He pretty innovative on the tech side of things, and I guess you could say he was the darling of the big name edubloggers. He commented on a lot of blogs, was very outspoken, had strong views on various topics, and he was on Twitter. He blogged about a regrettable Twitter misunderstanding he had. Later, in July he decided to stop blogging, in part because of this and this. Now I know that most of our students are not going to be in the same league as Arthus, but I think we need to be careful where we lead our students–the walled garden approach might be best.

In addition, part of what I enjoy about using Twitter as part of my PLN is that I can joke in an adult manner with the people in my network. I don’t mean that I am rude, crude or unacceptable on Twitter; I know that what I post is out there forever and could come back to bite me, so I am careful. What I mean is that on Twitter I’m conversing with my adult friends. The way I interact with them is just different from how I would interact with my almost adult students. I do have a few young people in my Twitter network (Arthus before he ‘retired’ and a few others). I just wouldn’t want my whole class (though they are all wonderful people!) in my Twitter network.